In this course, the context is hosting an event and finding an appropriate venue for it. You will learn language and strategies for successful negotiations culminating in a written announcement for an event.
We all negotiate on a daily basis. On a personal level, we negotiate with friends, family, landlords, car sellers and employers, among others. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without profitable contracts. Within a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement.
In this course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation, with one module for each step:
(1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy
(2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success
(3) Close: Create a Contract
(4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game
To successfully complete this course and improve your ability to negotiate, you’ll need to complete the following three steps:
(1) Watch the short videos (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes) for the each module. The videos are interactive and they include questions to test your understanding of negotiation strategy and skills. Videos can be sped up or slowed down to match your preferred pace for listening. Depending on your schedule, you can watch the videos over a few weeks or you can binge watch them. A student who binge-watched the course concluded that “It’s as good as Breaking Bad.”
(2) Test your negotiation skills by completing the negotiation in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use Discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiation partner will give you feedback on your negotiation skills.
(3) Take the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is a Mastery Exam, which means that you can take it as many times as you want until you master the material. Additionally, this course includes the option of earning a Verified Certificate (VC) through the verification of your identity and successful completion of the course. A VC provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Michigan logo. If you're considering getting a VC, you should complete the verification process before taking the Final Exam.