Using stories makes your messages memorable, gives your audience something to relate to, and above all captures their attention, motivating and inspiring them in new ways. A story taps into more than one element of communicating. Great storytellers are great communicators and effective leaders.
Acumen believes that storytelling is an essential tool for changing the way the world tackles poverty because it starts with changing conversations around what we see, hear, feel and know to be true. Change leaders see the world’s potential, and tell powerful stories that inspire action.
By the end of this course, participants will:
- Be confident in using stories, especially personal stories, as part of their communication toolkit.
- Know how to tell stories and use a specific set of storytelling skills so that they connect with the hearts and minds of their audiences (an audience of one or many).
- Have developed, rehearsed, and received feedback on one personal story as a replicable model so that they can build a personal “library” or “back pocket” of stories that can be used in different situations.
- Be able to use a 5-step process to integrate story into presentations for change, work, or many other situations.
This Course Is For You If:
- You make lots of presentations, or you want to get better at making presentations
- You are a teacher, facilitator or instructor
- You think you don't have any stories (we'll bring them out of you!)
- You want a new way of connecting with people (great for networking!)
- You're interviewing for jobs and want a strong way of presenting yourself
- You want to change your communication style
- You just want to have fun!