Introducing the first practical course in the world that teaches musicians and artists how they can build a business around their art, discover new revenue streams, and market themselves as startups.
Have you ever wondered why 90% of musicians (and artists) don't make a living in the digital era - although they want to?
The answer is simple: they are still stuck in the last century mindset. The truth is, if you want to become a full-time artist doing what you love, you have to structure a business around your art, not just merely hope!
In this practical, 8-week course, two full-time practitioner musicians and academic educators, Tommy Darker and Stereo Mike, will guide you though the process of creating your very own business model, how to market yourself as a startup, how to be agile, motivated and productive, how to develop a work-in-progress brand, and how to adapt to the new mindset.
This is a course for all artists, and 'music' will be used as a case study. You will learn through practical assignments, so that you can implement what you learn in the real world, and get practical results.
This is the first MOOC in the world of its kind. It will be exciting. Shall we start?
Upon completion of the course, the students should be able to:
1. Apply contemporary entrepreneurial approaches to their musical/artistic careers
2. Identify changing industry trends in order to define relevant opportunities for their practice
3. Balance artistic and business personal development, ensuring longevity
4. Discover scalable business models and recurring revenue streams
5. Produce actionable plans to exploit their art entrepreneurially, through practical assignments
6. Innovate, recognising future trends and technological progress
Week 1: Introduction
Historical Context | The New Ecosystem | Modern Concepts
Week 2 & 3: Business Models
Business Model Structure | Revenue models | Audience
Week 4: Lean Startup
Validated Learning | MVP | Prototyping | Management
Week 5: Agile Philosophy Principles
Productivity & Motivation | Startup Mindset | Communication
Week 6: Presence, Product, Process
Work-in-progress Brand | Demo | The Drip Method
Week 7: Digital Opportunities & Digital Paradigms
Power of Free | Digital-to-analogue | Network
Week 8: Deconstruction
Case Studies | Leadership & Innovation | What's Next?