Advanced Interviewing Techniques (Coursera)
People interviewing for jobs today often fail because they are using yesterday's strategies. Recruiting technology has become more sophisticated, and the best employers are constantly changing the way interviews are done. This course gives you detailed strategies for handling tough competency-based, or behavioral, interviews so that you can communicate the knowledge, skills, and abilities that you have and that employers demand.
You will be able to:
1. Identify the objectives of the hiring organization is using behavioral interviewing techniques.
2. List the steps in the S.T.A.R. method and apply the steps, using reasonably correct language, to respond to behavioral interview questions.
3. Use your responses to behavioral and competency-based questions to communicate your personal values.
4. Identify the objectives of the hiring organization in asking situational and wild-card interview questions.
5. List the steps in the P.R.E.P. and 5 W's methods and apply the steps, using reasonably correct language, to answer at least one wild-card and two situational interview questions.
6. Develop an optimal strategy for responding to the weaknesses question, based on recognizing why a hiring organization asks these questions.
7. Demonstrate your personal strengths and maturity through your responses to the weaknesses question.
8. Correctly apply hedging language to soften a negative and boosting language to emphasize a positive aspect of your professional and/or academic background.
9. Ask questions to determine how well an organization fits with your personality, career goals and salary objectives.
10. Ask questions that communicate your competencies and strengths.
11. Negotiate the best job offer and compensation package for yourself.
12. Perform successfully on telephone interviews.
Advanced Interviewing Techniques is course 3 of 5 in the Interviewing and Resume Writing in English Specialization.
This specialization will help you develop the English language strategies and communication skills you need to advance in your professional career. Whether you already have a successful career and are looking to move forward, whether you’re looking to change careers, whether you’re starting out in the world of work, or whether you’re coming back into the world of work after some time away – if you believe in working for more than a paycheck, then this specialization will help you. The core courses cover preparing for a successful job search, including self research and research of the job market and industries of interest; strengthening your interview skills by recognizing what hiring managers are looking for and taking steps to prepare for the types of tough questions today's premier companies use; and preparing a resume, cover letter and supporting business documents. The capstone will allow you to apply the skills you learn in this specialization to your own job search. A key benefit of this specialization is the opportunities you'll have to practice your interviewing skills with other job-seekers from around the world. You’ll give them feedback and they’ll give you feedback. In this process, you’ll gain new insight into what makes a speaker successful and you’ll gain confidence in your English interviewing skills.
Already taken this course? Please rate.