Class Deals by MOOC List - Click here and see FutureLearn's Active Discounts, Deals, and Promo Codes.
Explore the environmental impact of the food industry
There are many different aspects of sustainability that affect us all. From climate change to carbon footprints, you’ll learn about the various environmental issues in general terms.
You’ll then hone in on sustainability in the food industry, delving into food waste, non-renewable energy consumption, and plastic pollution, among other topics. This will help you to discuss the decisions, actions, and reasons for implementing sustainability practices.
Discover how to implement sustainable practices within a food business
This course will guide you through the different ways that you can implement sustainable practices in both your personal life and in a food service organisation.
You’ll examine the circular economy, using a real-life example to demonstrate the practical ways that it can work. You’ll also discuss how a food service company could consider some key aspects of sustainability, alongside discussing the various challenges you might face.
By the end of this course, you’ll have both strategies and support to create and work within sustainable food service businesses.
Learn from the experts at the ICS
The ICS, accredited by the World Chefs’ Association, are committed to providing professional, excellent, technology-driven education to improve every aspect of the food industry.
What topics will you cover?
- Brief history of sustainability
- What does sustainability mean to you?
- The greatest challenge that humans have ever faced
- Carbon footprint, greenhouse gasses and climate change explained
- Human impacts on the environment
- Future of Food
- Sustainability in Food Service
- Consumer expectations - ethical consumerism
- The circular economy
- Food service response to sustainability
- Hospitality Schools response to adopting sustainability
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain global sustainability concepts, issues and concerns
- Discuss the decisions, actions, and reasons for implementing sustainability in a food service organization
- Identify some challenges a business might face when implementing sustainable practices
- Identify ways that an individual can implement sustainable choices.