Nerves, the heart, and the brain are electrical. How do these things work? This course presents fundamental principles, described quantitatively.
This course introduces the concept of energy services and presents the modeling principles to design sustainable energy systems.
The main goals of this course are:
• Understand the energy service concept
• Identify the required energy services in different energy systems contexts
• Know the level of energy services around the world
• Model different energy services
• Estimate the energy services requirements
• Energy concepts (energy systems, energy definitions, tools to describe energy systems, energy consumption around the world)
• Energy Services (energy services definition, energy services in buildings, energy consumption in buildings)
• Energy services requirements (thermal comfort, hot water, visual comfort)
• Energy services modeling (heating and cooling, hot water, cooking, lighting, others)
The contents will consist of a series of videos for each topic, where each video covers a sub topic. There will be quizzes about each video and an assignment for every topic, which will be peer reviewed. The videos will be complemented by lecture notes, FAQ and discussion forums.
The prerequisites for this course are:
- Understand the energy, work and heat concepts
- Know the first and second laws of thermodynamics
- Know the heat transfer mechanisms