Learn how climate change, technology and regulation are changing modern building design and professional practice in construction. Trends such as climate change, technology and regulation are changing modern building design, as well as the professional practices of the architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) industry. This free online course explores these trends, highlighting how higher education (HE) and the construction sector can work together to address them.
Explore the trends influencing modern building design
Over three weeks, you will look at trends such as:
- the emerging role of the design manager;
- the importance of information modelling for enhanced design;
- new sustainable construction materials and techniques;
- water-sensitive design to increase cities’ resilience;
- and buildings and their impact on health and wellbeing.
By the end of the course, you will:
- be aware of the factors that influence modern building design;
- understand the areas where AEC professionals now work – from traditional office and site positions to lab-based ones;
- describe how design management, digital modelling, nanotechnology, resilience, wellbeing and sustainability are changing the AEC curriculum;
- and discuss the need for increased integration between HE and practice, to create the AEC professionals of tomorrow.
Learn with modern building design experts at the University of Bath
Modern Building Design has been developed by the University of Bath’s highly rated Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering. Its new MSc programme in this area specialises in a uniquely interdisciplinary approach to modern building design, giving you the opportunity to learn with experts from across the AEC industry.
This course introduces the types of cost estimation from the conceptual design phase through the more detailed design phase of a construction project. In addition, the course highlights the importance of controlling costs and how to monitor project cash flow. Students will work on a break-even analysis of construction tasks in a project.
Aprenderás las bases y los procedimientos precisos paso a paso para que puedas llevar a cabo la autoconstrucción de una vivienda básica, segura y económica para ti y tu familia; también te será de gran utilidad si estás buscando aprender a reparar, mejorar la estructura de tu vivienda e incluso si buscas autoemplearte.
MOOCs – Massive Open Online Courses – enable students around the world to take university courses online. This guide, by the instructors of edX’s most successful MOOC in 2013-2014, Principles of Written English (based on both enrollments and rate of completion), advises current and future students how to get the most out of their online study, covering areas such as what types of courses are offered and who offers them, what resources students need, how to register, how to work effectively with other students, how to interact with professors and staff, and how to handle assignments. This second edition offers a new chapter on how to stay motivated. This book is suitable for both native and non-native speakers of English, and is applicable to MOOC classes on any subject (and indeed, for just about any type of online study).