The course encompasses studies of anatomy, graphic design, narrative and gameplay, to provide you with a broad knowledge and understanding of the field of video game character design.
By the end, you’ll discover how studying human nature can help you design characters that gamers will recognise and understand.
What topics will you cover?
- Narrative theory for video game characters
- Gameplay design for video game characters
- Visual design principles
- Anatomical knowledge and physical cues
- Professional insights
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to...
- Develop an appreciation of how studying human nature can inform how we design characters that audiences will recognise and understand.
- Assess how fundamental visual, narrative, and game design principles can inform the development of characters.
- Develop skills in analysing and prototyping character design concepts.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in game design and development. This includes those who are considering studying it at university or entering the games industry to become a developer or designer.
It will be particularly suitable for those interested in the field of character design.