Learn how magnetic devices, such as hard drives and magneto-optical disks, are designed to exploit the magnetic properties of materials. In this engineering course, you will learn about magnetic materials and devices. Applications presented include magnetic data storage, motors, transformers, and spintronics.
This course is part of a three-part series, which explains the basis of electrical, optical, and magnetic properties of materials including semiconductors, metals, organics, and insulators. We will show how devices are built to take advantage of these properties. This is illustrated with a wide range of devices, placing a strong emphasis on new and emerging technologies.
Part 1 - Electronic Materials and Devices
Part 2 - Optical Materials and Devices
What you'll learn:
- Fundamentals of magnetism
- The role anisotropy plays in the magnetic behavior of materials
- The operating principles of transformers and DC motors
- How data is stored on hard disks
- Principles of optical and magnetooptical storage