You will be able to:
1. Explain how Audience, Purpose, Presentation, Language and Evidence (A.P.P.L.E.) shape every piece of business writing.
2. Identify the real purpose of a resume.
3. Produce a strong resume in a format (including the CV format) that is suitable both to your background and the position you’re interested in.
4. Use your accomplishments inventory to strategically assemble the most relevant evidence of competency for a specific position.
5. Produce strong cover letters for at least three potential positions.
6. Compose a career development plan that considers future and immediate job prospects together with strategies for further English language development.
Writing Winning Resumes and Cover Letters is course 4 of 5 in the Interviewing and Resume Writing in English Specialization.
This specialization will help you develop the English language strategies and communication skills you need to advance in your professional career. Whether you already have a successful career and are looking to move forward, whether you’re looking to change careers, whether you’re starting out in the world of work, or whether you’re coming back into the world of work after some time away – if you believe in working for more than a paycheck, then this specialization will help you. The core courses cover preparing for a successful job search, including self research and research of the job market and industries of interest; strengthening your interview skills by recognizing what hiring managers are looking for and taking steps to prepare for the types of tough questions today's premier companies use; and preparing a resume, cover letter and supporting business documents. The capstone will allow you to apply the skills you learn in this specialization to your own job search. A key benefit of this specialization is the opportunities you'll have to practice your interviewing skills with other job-seekers from around the world. You’ll give them feedback and they’ll give you feedback. In this process, you’ll gain new insight into what makes a speaker successful and you’ll gain confidence in your English interviewing skills.