Class Deals by MOOC List - Click here and see FutureLearn's Active Discounts, Deals, and Promo Codes.
Whether you are a language teacher, a teacher of another subject, or a volunteer working with refugees and migrant learners, you’ll find ideas and strategies that you can use to better understand your learners. The course will help you to build inclusive classrooms and develop your learners’ confidence, taking into account the languages they know and their cultures.
What topics will you cover?
- Global trends in migration and displacement as a result of different types of conflicts
- The role and impact of language use as well as language development in migration and displacement
- The range of educational pathways and curricula for students from formal to informal to remedial and the role of the community in supporting learning
- The importance of challenging discrimination and promoting inclusive classrooms which foster collaborative learning
- The learning and behaviour needs of primary and secondary learners who have experienced trauma, displacement and conflict
- The effects of loss, trauma and displacement on the brain and how this knowledge can help teachers to understand learning difficulties and challenging behaviour
- The importance of teacher self-care and the role of well-being in coping with the impact of trauma on teachers and learners
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to...
- Describe the causes, patterns and impact of migration on teaching and learning
- Develop a profile of your learners and consider strategies to engage and include them
- Apply a set of practical tools and techniques in the classroom environment to better cope with the impact of trauma on teachers and learners