Explore how location analytics can be used in business.
This course provides a rich introduction to the booming technology field of Geographic Information Systems, known as GIS. The GIS industry is exploding at double-digit employment and income numbers and promises employment opportunities well into the future. Students will learn the fundamentals of GIS and how to build digital maps using open source software that allows free unlimited use for private or commercial applications. All data and software required is included in the course.
Topics covered in this course include GIS, cartography, remote sensing, and spatial analysis through a series of lectures and hands-on computer-based exercises. This course is designed to be used as a stand-alone course to complement other disciplines or as an entry level course into a geospatial program. Course content is based upon the United States Department of Labor’s Geospatial Technology Competency Model for entry level geospatial occupations, including Geospatial or GIS Technicians and Technologists.
- Describe the fundamental concepts of Geographic Information Science and Technology.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the basic functions of geospatial software.
- Demonstrate awareness of fundamental remote sensing and spatial analysis techniques.
- Demonstrate basic proficiency in map creation and design principles, including thematic map display, employment of map projections, and cartographic design.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the creation and acquisition of spatial data.