Grasp the essentials needed to begin playing acoustic or electric guitar. You'll learn an easy approach to get you playing quickly, through a combination of exploring the instrument, performance technique, and basic music theory.
Learn key concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. Do you have a passion for music and want to learn more about how it works? Are you a musician who learned by ear and has no formal training? Would you like to study music but are unsure of where to begin? Then this music theory course is for you.
This course includes six lessons that will give you the knowledge and skills you need to understand basic music theory. You’ll learn from Berklee College of Music professor George W. Russell, Jr. and from Berklee students who share their musical journey and offer advice for those wanting to study music. Above all, the course is designed to impart the joy of creating music and sharing it with others.
What you'll learn:
- How to construct major and minor scales
- How to identify, analyze, and sing intervals
- How to identify the tonal center of a song
- How to build basic major, minor, and dominant seventh chords
- How to create a common chord progression - the I IV V
- How to recognize blues and AABA song forms