Class Deals by MOOC List - Click here and see FutureLearn's Active Discounts, Deals, and Promo Codes.
You will examine terrorist events, their consequences and the stories of the perpetrators. You will hear from key experts seeking to explain how people were driven to become radicalised and engage in terrorist violence. You will consider the definition of radicalisation and what forms it takes. You will then get basic training in how to develop a community resilience programme against radicalisation and terrorism.
Week 1: What is violent radicalisation?
Week 2: Drivers and dynamics of violent radicalisation
Week 3: Addressing violent radicalisation through resilience
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Investigate current debates on violent religious radicalisation
- Engage with different theoretical approaches that explain violent radicalisation and identify its causes
- Explore the process through which a young person can be drawn into a spiral of violent radicalisation and extremism
- Discuss what is resilience and how it is different from counter-radicalisation approaches
- Compare specific approaches and experiences of building resilience within communities and countering violent radicalisation. Discuss whether and how they can be transposed to different settings (cities, countries)
- Learn about how violent religiously attributed radicalisation emerges today in different parts of the world, understand why people are driven to engage in violent extremism and what resilience to it is