Get an introduction to histology – the study of anatomy at a microscopic level – and find out how it is used to identify disease. Histology is a key part of modern medicine – it helps us study cells and tissues at a microscopic level, and accurately diagnose diseases such as cancer. This online course introduces the field. It starts with the basic principles of light microscopy, before focussing on the structure and function of human tissues, and the relationships between them.
You’ll use a virtual microscope to compare normal tissues with pathological (or diseased) ones, and use histopathology to identify and diagnose each disease.
The course was produced with the kind support of Dangoor Education.
What topics will you cover?
- An introduction to histology and the role or histopathology in diagnosis of disease
- Development of skills in using a light microscope and understanding the potentials and limits of the instrument
- Description of how histological slides are produced, stained and interpreted
- Development of the ability to identify a number of cell types and tissues from their histological appearance
- Description of the structures of a number of tissues with relationship to their functions
- Description of some major pathological changes and their histological appearance
- Development of the ability to identify histopathological changes and their relationship to the underlying disease processes
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to...
- Apply and understand the basic principles of microscopy
- Identify a number of the more common tissues from their histological appearance
- Assess and understand the relationship between the structure of some tissues seen under the microscope and their function
- Identify gross histological abnormalities, such as neurodegeneration, inflammation and cancer
The vital signs – heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, respiration rate, and pain – communicate important information about the physiological status of the human body. In this six-part course we explore the anatomy and physiology underlying the vital signs so that you will develop a systematic, integrated understanding of how the body functions. Relevant body systems are reviewed including cardiovascular and respiratory, followed by explanations of how the function of these systems affects vital signs. We discuss normal ranges, normal variants, and the mechanisms that underlie changes in the objective measurement of vital signs. The course also includes demonstrations of appropriate techniques for measuring vital signs in yourself and others.
In this anatomy course you will explore the organs involved in our food digestion and discover the common causes of abdominal and pelvic pain. The latest graphics and animations will help you to find new insights and understanding of this part of the body, that has been the focus of anatomical research for centuries and presently arouses renewed scientific interest.
El recorrido por el apasionante mundo de la microscopía nos permite ver a una escala muy alejada de mundo macroscópico al que estamos acostumbrados. Las diferentes técnicas microscópicas nos ayudan a entender el reino atómico y la estructura de los organismos vivos, así como también de los diversos materiales. Es una herramienta imprescindible para desarrollar nuevas funcionalidades en el campo de la nanociencia y la nanotecnología con aplicaciones biomédicas, en computación y telecomunicaciones, y en energías renovables, entre otras muchas.
MOOCs – Massive Open Online Courses – enable students around the world to take university courses online. This guide, by the instructors of edX’s most successful MOOC in 2013-2014, Principles of Written English (based on both enrollments and rate of completion), advises current and future students how to get the most out of their online study, covering areas such as what types of courses are offered and who offers them, what resources students need, how to register, how to work effectively with other students, how to interact with professors and staff, and how to handle assignments. This second edition offers a new chapter on how to stay motivated. This book is suitable for both native and non-native speakers of English, and is applicable to MOOC classes on any subject (and indeed, for just about any type of online study).