Learn inquiry-based classroom practices to engage students in education through exploration. Inquiry-based learning aims to increase student engagement by helping learners develop hands-on, minds-on skills. This education and teacher training course explores the 5E instructional model and its uses in the classroom. You will have the opportunity to learn from videos of classroom teachers modeling a 5E lesson and access teacher commentary as they use inquiry-based strategies with their students. As a result, you will develop the skills and strategies needed to implement inquiry-based instruction in your own classroom.
An inquiry-based approach honors the complex work of learning. It prioritizes the knowledge and experience that students bring to the classroom and it promotes active problem solving, communication, and the shared construction of new ideas. Inquiry-based instruction is the foundation for the UTeach model. This education course serves as a useful introduction to this approach.
What you'll learn:
- Understand the philosophy behind inquiry-based instruction
- Learn the elements of the 5E instructional model
- Obtain strategies and tools from master teachers for implementing inquiry-based instruction
- Discover the benefits of inquiry-based instruction for students
- Create a learning guide to use when implementing inquiry-based instruction in the classroom