Discover the themes of the Quran, its role within Islam, meaning to Muslims, and relationship with the Bible.
According to Islamic tradition, the Quran is not simply an inspired scripture. It is a divine book brought down from heaven by the angel Gabriel to the Prophet Muhammad, and its message is the key to heaven. Join us for an exploration of the scripture that is the word of God to over a billion people.
This course will introduce you to various aspects of the Quran, including its basic message, the historical context in which it originated, the diverse ways in which Muslims have interpreted it, and its surprisingly intimate relationship with the Bible. By the end of the course, you will gain an appreciation for the perspectives of Muslim believers and academic scholars alike on the origins and the meaning of the Islamic scripture. No background in Islam or Arabic is necessary for this course.
Join us as we discover a text which inspires many and remains at the heart of fascinating scholarly debates.
What you'll learn
- Basic organization, structure, and literary style of the Quran
- The Quran’s role within Islam and its meaning to Muslims
- Traditional Islamic and critical academic perspectives on the origin of the Quran
- Strategies utilized within the Quran to construct persuasive arguments
- Place of Biblical characters and traditions within the Quran
- Analysis of the Quran from an academic perspective