Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability MicroMasters
What you will learn:
- Understand the challenges of switching from a fossil source-based economy to a biobased economy.
- Understand how to identify suitable raw materials and create valuable new products.
- Learn how to refine biomass without damaging its valuable components.
- Perform a functional analysis of potential methods that can be used for refining a resource.
- Learn how to efficiently convert biobased feedstocks into desired products.
- Evaluate technological, ethical, societal and economic consequences in the production of biobased products.
Design new (bio)catalytic conversion routes that allow you to use biobased feedstocks to their highest potential as building blocks for chemicals, materials and fuels. Biomass is the only renewable feedstock which contains the carbon atoms needed to make the molecules to create chemicals, materials and fuels. However, the majority [...]
Learn how to design an effective biorefinery to obtain valuable components from various biobased feedstocks such as plants, organisms and waste streams. The use of fossil resources is a controversial topic and there is much scientific research to argue against their use for energy, chemicals, and in the production [...]
Learn about the basic consumer science, business, logistics, supply chain, and economic principles that are essential for a successful transition from fossil resources to renewable biomass resources in a biobased economy. Explore how to create a sustainable future by moving away from dependence on fossil to biomass resources for [...]