Powerful concepts such as functional abstraction, the object oriented programming (OOP) paradigm and Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) are progressively introduced throughout the five weeks. Examples and case studies are provided so that learners can implement simple programs on their own or collaborating with peers.
Part 2 will focus on how to write “good” programs, where “good” is to be understood from several perspectives: correctness, efficiency, software engineering techniques, and ethics.
Part 3 will deal with fundamental data structures, such as sequences, and algorithms on them, such as searching and sorting.
Emphasis is put on immediate feedback and on having a fun experience. Programming knowledge is not only useful to be able to program today’s devices such as computers and smartphones. It also opens the door to computational thinking, i.e. the application of computing techniques to every-day processes.
What you'll learn:
- Basic knowledge on algorithms and Java programming
- Develop programs with conditionals and loops
- Design and implement recursive algorithms
- Understand basic mechanisms of the OOP paradigm
- Use and interpret the API of some of the most common Java classes
- Develop simple programs in Java