Financial Analysis of Insurance Companies Professional Certificate
What you will learn:
- Describe major industry trends and challenges.
- Explain the insurance industry's regulatory environment.
- Describe the operating cycle of an insurance company.
- Compare and contrast statutory and U.S. GAAP accounting.
- Describe the impairment tests for invested assets.
- Differentiate between loss reserves, policy reserves, UPR, and IBNR reserves.
- Identify the components of an insurer's capital and surplus.
- Describe the nature and purpose of reinsurance.
- Identify the key elements of risk transfer in a reinsurance agreement.
- Conduct ratio analysis to assess an insurer's financial condition and results.
- Explain the methodologies used by rating agencies.
- Describe the key components of the NAIC's risk-based capital (RBC) formula.
- Identify the warning signs of an insurer experiencing financial distress.
- Predict how changes in key variables might affect an insurer's financial results.
- Describe how insurance companies manage financial risk.
- Describe the impact of international accounting (IFRS) on the insurance industry.
- Refresh your knowledge of key insurance terms and concepts.