Take the challenge and understand problems and solutions to managing tropical coastal ecosystems. Do you want to develop the skills and knowledge needed to help preserve tropical coastal ecosystems? These habitats provide goods and services for hundreds of millions of people but human activities have led to their global decline.
TROPIC101x will introduce you to the incredible plants and animals that create these unique ecosystems. You will go on to explore the challenges these ecosystems are facing such as overfishing, coastal pollution, ocean warming and acidification. Lectures will be delivered by world-leading experts and you will have the opportunity to become a citizen scientist and take part in virtual ecology projects. Course content was specifically developed at the University of Queensland’s research station on Heron island. Join us on an exciting journey as you develop new knowledge and skills during this innovative and engaging course!
What you'll learn:
- A basic understanding of the value, vulnerability, dynamics and sustainable management of tropical coastal ecosystems
- Basic experimental design skills plus some simple analytical and statistical techniques
- An understanding and appreciation of the local and global threats to TCEs
- An understanding and practical use of spatial planning tools
- The process of designing and implementing an experiment in a virtual ecology project