The subject will be addressed from many different perspectives such as the economic context and regulations, fuel specifications and production in the refining industry, engines and post-treatment systems design, vehicles hybridization, biofuels, mobility of tomorrow. The evaluation will include a “serious game” designed as a video game: you will optimize the fuel production in a refinery and also the engine settings to reduce fuel consumption and pollutant emissions.
After successfully completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the different energies sources, the importance of oil and how it is used in transport and its consequences regarding the environment
- Explain the operation of a 4-stroke engine
- Explain the specifications of gasoline and diesel and the objectives of each unit during the crude refining process
- Explain the engine’s efficiency, the power and the torque
- Explain the formation of pollutant emissions, identify the techniques used to reduce emissions and consumption and finally identify the different after treatment systems
- List the pros and the cons of hybrids and explain how they work; list the various alternative fuels used, and finally describe possible solutions for reducing dependency on petroleum products –e.g. car sharing or ecodriving.