How did consciousness arise? Is the universe rational? Is there a meaning to life? Once these questions were the domain of the sacred, but in the modern world, science offers very different answers to religion. In this course, Dr Mark Vernon explores the common ground between these allegedly incompatible world views. But which can provide us with the best description of reality?
By the end of the course, you will have learned:
- How Darwinism has been misinterpreted by the rise of the New Atheists
- Why the way people understand the world has been polarised
- The six branches of metaphysical world views
- The failings of materialism and naturalism to provide a complete account of reality
- What progress science has made towards explaining consciousness
- How both science and religion connect us with our experience.
As part of the course there are in-video quiz questions to consolidate your learning, suggested further readings to stimulate a deeper exploration of the topic, discussion boards to have your say and an end-of-course assessment set by Dr Mark Vernon.
This course is eligible for official online verification.