Class Deals by MOOC List - Click here and see FutureLearn's Active Discounts, Deals, and Promo Codes.
This course does not have open access anymore.
Led by experienced teachers, you’ll make links between different mathematical topics and develop an understanding of how certain methods work and why they work.
Improve your subject knowledge of graphs and functions to develop your teaching approaches
You’ll watch demonstrations of teaching approaches, unpick the underlying mathematics behind graphs and build your confidence in these topics.
You’ll appreciate why linear graphs and quadratic graphs are important in representing connections between variables, and will develop a fluency in the nature of these relationships.
Discover how graphs can solve problems and understand the concept of function notation
You’ll apply the use of graphs to display specific situations, find connections and solve an extensive array of problems.
You’ll also investigate how function notation can be used to describe transformations of graphs.
Week 1: Introducing straight line graphs
Week 2: Linear graphs and equations
Week 3: Quadratic graphs
Week 4: Transformations of graphs
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect upon your current understanding of the basics of graphs and appreciate why graphs are important in representing connections between variables.
- Develop fluency in the nature and qualities of a linear relationship.
- Develop fluency in the nature and qualities of a quadratic relationship.
- Apply the use of graphs to display situations, find connections and solve problems.
- Investigate how function notation can be used to describe transformations of graphs.
Who is the course for?
This course is specifically designed for teachers and educators who are not specialised in maths, but who are wanting to learn mathematical methods and improve their understanding of the subject.
It’s particularly suitable for new teachers and those studying teaching as a profession.