The goal of the College and Career Ready Standards (CCRS) is to ensure that all students are college and career ready when they graduate from high school.
The goal of the College and Career Ready Standards (CCRS) is that all students be college and career ready when they graduate from high school. Students need to be able to read, write, speak, listen, and use language effectively in a variety of content areas and teachers need to be able to teach these skills. With the new CCRS, all K-12 teachers are now teachers of literacy.
For many teachers, integrating literacy that meets clearly defined standards can be challenging. The CCRS are new, especially those for literacy in the content areas. In this Exploration you will have the support of others, and the opportunity to exchange ideas with colleagues, as you integrate the teaching of reading and writing strategies into your curriculum.
In this Exploration you will use some of the tools from the Literacy Design Collaborative (LDC) to incorporate the CCRS literacy standards. These tools are a part of a much more in-depth LDC Module design and will serve to introduce you to the model.
• In the Plan/Prepare section of this exploration, you will explore the template tasks and the LDC Writing Rubrics.
• In the Teach/Assess section, you will help your students develop reading and/or writing strategies to support them in addressing the task. You will then use the task you have created within your instruction and assess student work using the LDC Rubric.
• In the Analyze/Reflect section, you will discuss what worked in this process and how you might continue to use and learn more about the LDC tools as part of your teaching.
Through the Discussion Group for this Exploration, you’ll share questions, reflections, and resources with other teachers who are using the LDC tasks and rubrics in their teaching.
Successful completion of this Exploration includes:
• Regular weekly participation during the 8 weeks.
• Posting in the Plan/Prepare, Teach/Assess, and Analyze/Reflect Exploration Forums in the Exploration Discussion Community.
• Submitting the Exploration Self-Assessment and Survey within the allotted time frame.