This course will enable learners to better contribute to their organization and to advance their careers. By completing this course, learners will understand:
- different types of standards
- how they impact trade and innovation
- how they evolve
- why companies participate in standards development
- how standards change to meet emerging needs
- how to integrate related activities with other organizational functions
- strategic implications
- how standards apply to product design and planning.
We will also discuss conformity assessment, regulation and intellectual property.
This engineering course offers a practitioner’s view of technical standards and is geared to students and professionals in the fields of engineering, technology, computing, business, economics and law – particularly those working in all facets of product planning, development, and support.
What you'll learn:
- What technical standards are and why they matter globally
- How standards develop through formal and informal processes and negotiation
- How standards apply to product design and innovation
- The connection between standards, strategic planning, and business success
- Important intellectual property considerations related to standards and conformity requirements