Learn how theatre and globalization have affected each other over the past century, and how to conduct your own research on global theatre histories.
Freedom of Expression is at the heart of many global controversies and challenges. Learn about the scope, limits and abuses of this fundamental human right. Are you interested in understanding freedom of expression and information? Do you want to learn how it is defined under international law, who abuses it and how it is protected on or off-line?
Adopting a global standpoint, this course will present the international human rights norms and laws that define free speech and the global jurisprudence that has developed to safeguard it. It will explore political expression, press freedom and freedom of expression on the Internet. It will outline the legitimate restrictions to freedom of expression, and discuss its most pressing challenges and violations globally.
Taught with the support of journalists, human rights defenders and press freedom activists from around the world, this course is a formidable introduction to a complex fundamental right, at the heart of today’s many global challenges, from the Internet to national security, freedom of religion and privacy.
What you'll learn:
- The principles behind the protection of freedom of expression and information
- The international standards that define and protect freedom of expression and the bodies responsible for enforcing them
- The norms and tests governing the legitimate restriction to freedom of expression
- The impact of Internet on freedom of expression
- The current violations to freedom of expression, and the challenges its protection is confronting, including those related to national security, religion and privacy