Instructors Allison Soult and Kim Woodrum bring their experience to the course covering atomic structure, periodic trends, compounds, and reactions. Students will engage in calculations and video demonstrations of the concepts being discussed. They will complete practice problems and end of unit assessments to help gauge their understanding of the material.
- Identify components inside the atom, including electron structure.
- Determine properties of elements.
- Use the periodic table to compare elements according to atomic size and various energies.
- Predict chemical properties of the elements.
- Determine how atoms combine to form molecular and ionic compounds.
- Understand quantitative relationships for compounds, including molar mass and mass percent of an element in a compound.
- Explore how compounds react with one another to form new substances.
- Write balanced equations to represent what is happening in a reaction.